You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Who cares?
I don't really care to post any more for a couple of reasons. I think that Friends and family just don't really care how your family is doing. They can't seem to call once a year or even answer the phone when you call, so doesn't that tell you they really don't care. I know this is not how we should treat people or our family, but we do. Sad.. I have a bad attitude I know, but I am going to act like everyone else and say I give up and really don't care any more. So I think if people really care they can pick up the dam phone. That is all I have to say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Gary Horton Family
- Gary is still the manager of the hotel. We have Three beautiful girls and a busy boy.
5 comments:
I am sorry that you are having a bad day, we love you!
Wow! You go girl!!
What brought this on? We love your blog! We talk to you almost every week! Please keep it going.
All Our Love,
Mom & Dad
Shannon told me about your post the other day and though I rarely visit anyones blog, I wanted to let you know I share your feelings on tis subject. I think the feelings you expressed are shared by millions of people. Part of the negative that has come with technology development is that while people have the ability to have better virtual (online) relationships, the social trend has really exposed the fact that technology has introduced a phemonenon where people actually are spending less time having real world relationships. Fewer person to person contacts, fewer real together time, fewer phone conversations where you hear voice inflection, emotion etc... And then on top of all that, it is impossible to ignore the reality that we risk electronic rejection when we post something but no one responds -- even further when we and everyone else can openly see the fact that when others post something, a ton of people come flocking in with responses. I suppose if a person is popular and getting tons of facebook, myspace or blogging feedback they are content, but when they realize that no one is responding to thier posts, they are naturally dissatisfied with those kind of interactions. I personally feel that electronic social networking is less desirable than spending real time in the real world with real people. I think people can more easily get away with being less than genuine when they are interacting on line. People will claim they didnt see your post because they were too busy or never logged on that day, but with the advent of tracking technology it becomes painfully obvious that sometimes even assumed friends were dishonest about thier social preferences because they clearly were online all day, visited your site, wouldnt comment,lied about not seeing it and spent time commenting on other peoples pages in the same time frame. Women tend to need more social connection with other adult women because they are naturally more social, but also because they stay at home where kids (while great) dont exactly provide the adult friendship and interaction that they need. These are all real challenges, but I think the internet serves them poorly and comes with great risk if relied upon to fulfill these things. Shannon and I have noticed and talked at length about these things and come to the determination that less of internet social dependency is better. Oaks talk on "good,better,best" prioritization has some bearing in this space. I totally empathize with you on the things you have shared. My personal opinion and advice is to make blogging available to friends and family as a journal of Horton Happenings that people dont necessarily have to comment on, but that they can go and see, but it is more for recording memorable events in your family. I would remove ability for people to comment and put an email link on there if they want to send you a letter. This way it forces people to not get away with only interacting online. When they really want to reach the Hortons, they will have to email or call or even better, if they live close by they can come over for a visit. By the way - we love you and miss you guys and your family! I really wish we lived closer. Though due to the addictive compulsive tendencies connected to fishing and hunting that Gary and I both share, It may have been a blessing that we live in different states.
Love, Toddo
Hey Alisa ... I have SO felt the way you feel!!! As you can probably tell from Todd's comment, we have noticed that blogging and facebook have in some ways excused people from having "real" contact with people anymore ... which can be frustrating!!!
I haven't had my blog up for a long time because I spent some time trying to catch it up, and then recently broke it when trying to change my sign in information after changing our email address ... but it's almost ready for viewing again, and I will let you know when it is. Since our families are so far apart it really is nice to be able to read about eveything going on ... sokeep posting! But I would never want it to replace any other necessary efforts to keep in touch!!! We would love to come see you guys again soon!!! It's been too long ... we miss you!!!
((hugs))
Shannon
Post a Comment