Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fishing on the clearwater



Some friends and I went Steelhead fishing in Northern Idaho. We were there for two days and I hooked into nine fish and landed four. The largest one was 38". These fish entered the Columbia River last summer and they are ending their 875 mile journey. They came from the ocean, to the Columbia, up the Snake River, into the Clearwater, and finally up the South Fork of the Clearwater. And I was there patently awaiting there arrival. That’s not to mention they made that journey in reverse right after they were born. It's amazing that the drive to reproduce is that strong. I would have stayed in the ocean.

It will make David happy to know we only killed one. You can tell Isaac it came from the frozen section in a bag, if it makes you feel better...



3 comments:

Jorj said...

Great job Gary! That sucker is HUGE!!! We laughed hard about your comment to David & Isaac.

Anonymous said...

Wow, guish, you are going to make abuelito wish he could get back to being 20 again.
Ofcourse his biggest catch was moby dick according to him, that was right after he performed at the Carnegie Hall with Mario Lansa and Carusso.
I sent him these pictures and some of the family.
Love you

Anonymous said...

Nice fish Gary! I love the crimson colors over the gills. I am still dreaming of finding a good piece of land with a nice year round stream where I can develop a few good habitat holes, and release some nice fat bows like that into the water. A long time ago I worked for my dad building a deck at some guys house and he had a stream with a pond on it filled with big hogs like that. He hung a deer carcass over the pond and would come out every morning and beat the carcass with a stick making the maggots that had infested the carcass fall off into the water to feed the fish. They swarmed beneath the carcasss like piranha and the water boiled with the thrashing of thier fins and greedy mouths. At lunch time he let us each take a cast. My bait hit the water and one of the huge hogs slammed my line ripping the hook right off. It was awesome!

_Toddo

About Me

Gary is still the manager of the hotel. We have Three beautiful girls and a busy boy.